As requested by colleagues (academic and NGOs) I compile here all my works on Civil Society and the Internet in Indonesia.
The same disclaimer applies: Please use for personal use only, not for commercial purpose. Please cite accurately, mentioning the source correctly (authorship, type of source and publication date). Enjoy!
Seperti diminta oleh beberapa sejawat (akademik maupun dari LSM) , saya kumpulkan di halaman ini seluruh penelitian saya mengenai masyarakat sipil dan Internet di Indonesia. Mohon hanya digunakan untuk kepentingan personal, bukan untuk keperluan komersial. Mohon kutip secara akurat, menyebutkan sumbernya dengan benar (pengarang, jenis sumber dan tanggal publikasi). Selamat menikmati!
Does the Internet transform civil society? The case of Civil Society Organisations in Indonesia (2004-2007)
Supervised by Professor Ian Miles (University of Manchester); Dr. Lawrence Green (University of Manchester)
Examined by Professor William Dutton (Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford, UK); Professor Philippe Laredo (Ecole Nationale des Ponts et Chaussées, Laboratoire Techniques Territoires et Sociétés, France)
- Nugroho, Y. (forthcoming) “NGOs, The Internet and sustainable development: The case of Indonesia”, Information, Communication and Society, 13(1). ISSN 1369-118X [pre-print]
- Nugroho, Y. (2008) “Adopting technology, transforming society: The Internet and the reshaping of civil society activism in Indonesia“, International Journal of Emerging Technologies and Society, Vol 6(2):77-105. ISSN 1835-8780. [English]
- Nugroho, Y., and Tampubolon, G. (2008) “Network dynamics in the transition to democracy: Mapping global networks of contemporary Indonesian civil society“, Sociological Research Online, Vol 13, Issue 5. ISSN 1360-7804 [English]
- Nugroho, Y. (2004) “Anonymity in Computer-Mediated Communication: A Case Study of Groupware Communication among Indonesian NGO Activists”, Indonesian Journal of Cultural Antropology 28 (73): 58-75. ISSN 0126-1576 [English]
Working Papers (Peer-reviewed)
- Nugroho, Y. (2009). “Opening the black box: Adoption of innovations in voluntary organisations“. Manchester Business School Working Paper, Number 576, The University of Manchester.
- Nugroho, Y. (2008). “Spreading the word, broadening perspectives: Internet, NGOs and globalisation discourse in Indonesia“. Manchester Business School Working Paper, Number 544, The University of Manchester. [English]
- Nugroho, Y. (2008). “Rural Sector Reform and Internet Adoption in NGOs: The Case of Indonesia“. Manchester Business School Working Paper, Number 536, The University of Manchester. [English]
- Nugroho, Y. (2008). “Adoption of the Internet in rural NGOs in Indonesia – A study on Internet appropriation for rural sector reform.” Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper, No. 21, The University of Manchester. [English]
- Nugroho, Y., Tampubolon, G. (2006), “Mapping the network society: Network dynamics in the transition to democracy in Indonesia” Working paper no. 15, CRESC, The University of Manchester [English]
Conference Papers (Peer-reviewed)
- Nugroho, Y. (2009) “Web 2.0 and Politics of Indonesian NGOs”, ICAS 6 Conference, International Convention of Asian Scholars, Daejeon Korea, 6-9 August 2009
- Nugroho, Y. (2009) “Indonesian CSO Network: Instrumentum or locus of power?” (Re)Conceptualising Power in South-east Asia, International Conference, CRASSH, University of Cambridge, 24-26 March 2009 (Abstract)
- Nugroho, Y. (2008) “Opening the black box: Adoption of innovations in voluntary organisations“, in Huizingh KRE, Torkkeli M, Conn S, Bitran I, “Managing Innovation in a Connected World”. ISPIM (International Society for Professional Innovation Management) Symposium, Singapore Management University, Singapore, 14-17 December 2008, Stream Panel “Managing Innovation” (Outline) ISBN 978-952-214-664-9 [English]
- Nugroho, Y., and Tampubolon, G. (2007) “Network dynamics of global CSOs in the transition to democracy in Indonesia”, Panel 7 “Social Networks and Transition in Southeast Asia: Empirical, Methodological and Theoretical Issues”, 5th International Conference of the European Association for Southeast Asian Studies (EuroSEAS), 12-15 September 2007, Napoli: L’Orientale. [English] [Slide].
- Nugroho, Y. (2007) “Adoption of the Internet in rural NGOs in Indonesia – A study on Internet appropriation for rural sector reform”, Proceeding of the 1st Rural-Information and Communication Technology (r-ICT) Conference, 6-7 August 2007, pp. 17-34, Bandung: Institute of Technology Bandung. ISBN 978-979-15509-1-8 [English]
- Nugroho, Y. (2007) “Spreading the word, broadening perspectives: Internet, NGOs and globalisation discourse in Indonesia”, Panel “Internet and Politics in Pacific Asia”, 5th International Convention of Asian Scholars (ICAS) Conference, 2-5 August 2007, Kuala Lumpur: University Kebangsaan Malaysia. [English].
- Nugroho, Y., and Tampubolon, G. (2006) “Mapping the network society: Network dynamics in the transition to democracy in Indonesia”, 11th Alternative Futures and Popular Protest – International Social Movement Conference, 19-21 April 2006, Vol III. Manchester: Manchester Metropolitan University. [English] [Slide]
- Watts, L.A.; Nugroho, Y. & Lea, M. (2003) “Engaging in Email Discussion: Conversational Context and Social Identity in Computer-Mediated Communication” In Rauterberg, M.; Menozzi, M. & Wesson, J. (eds.) Human-Computer Interaction INTERACT’03, pp. 559-566, Amsterdam: IOS Press. ISBN 1-58603-363-8 [English]
Non-peer-reviewed academic papers
- Nugroho, Y. (2006) “Internet and Civil Society in Indonesia”, Doctoral colloquium paper at the 7th Conference of the Association of the Internet Researcher (AoIR), Brisbane, Queensland, Australia [English] [Slide]
- Nugroho, Y. (2006) “Network dynamics of global CSOs in the transition to democracy in Indonesia”, poster presentation and talk in the Research Methods Festival, University of Oxford, July 2006 [English]
- December 2008: “Internet and Social Movement” (keynote speaker), OneWorld Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia [Paper, Presentation Slide]
- December 2008: “Foresight exercise: The future of the Internet and Indonesian Social Movement” (main facilitator), OneWorld Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia
- April 2008: “Innovation for development: A lesson from Internet appropriation in Indonesian civil society organisations”, GRIPS European Young Researcher Workshop, University of Manchester, UK [Slide]
- April 2008: “The Role of the Internet in the Civil Society Movement: Case of Indonesia”. Seminar/Public Lecture at Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford [Slide]
- March 2008: “Information Technology in Civil Society”. Guest Lecturing in the module Knowledge Economy and Information Society, MSc MOSTI – Management of Science Technology and Innovation at MIoIR, Univ of Manchester [Slide] [Reading list]
Articles/Short essays (Newspapers, Magazines, Bulletin, etc.)
- April 2009 – “Hubs and Wires – Internet use in Indonesian NGOs is strengthening civil society“, Inside Indonesia Academic Magazine
- April 2008 – “Does the Internet transform civil society? The case of Indonesian CSOs“, InnoGRIPS Newsletter, No. 3, European Commission
For full publications, see the ‘Publications’ page of this blog.