YANUAR NUGROHO, Ph.D.
Hallsworth Research Fellow with Manchester Institute of Innovation Research, MBS, University of Manchester, United Kingdom
Member of Staff Centre for Development Informatics, University of Manchester, United Kingdom
Senior Advisor to Centre for Innovation Policy and Governance, Indonesia
Senior Advisor to Business Watch Indonesia, Indonesia
Secretary General at Uni Sosial Demokrat, Jakarta, Indonesia
Office (current post):
Suite 8.07, Harold Hankins Building,
Precinct Centre, Manchester Business School
Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL
- 2004 – 2007 PhD in Science, Technology & Innovation, Manchester Institute of Innovation Research (MIoIR) at Manchester Business School, the University of Manchester. Thesis title: Does the Internet transform civil society: The case of civil society organisations in Indonesia. Supervisor: Professor Ian D. Miles, Dr. Lawrence C. Green. Thesis submitted 31 October 2007, examined 7 December 2007 by Professor Philippe Laredo (ENPC/France) and Professor William H. Dutton (OII/Oxford/UK).
- 2000 – 2001 MSc (With Distinction) in Information Systems Engineering (Exams & Dissertation), Dept of Computation, the University of Manchester Institute of Science & Technology (UMIST). Dissertation title: Anonymity in Computer-Mediated Communication: A Study of Political Communication among NGO Activists in Indonesia. Supervisor: Dr. Leon Watts
- 1990 – 1994 Sarjana Teknik (ST) – equivalent to B.Eng (Hons) – in Industrial Engineering, Dept of Industrial Engineering, Bandung Institute of Technology, Indonesia. Final Project title: Design of the Information System Architecture in the Indonesian Ministry of Transportation using Object-Oriented Information Systems Engineering. Supervisor: Dr. Kadarsah Suryadi, Dr. Herman Rahadian Sutisna
AWARDS & GRANTS
- 2010-2012 Hallsworth Fellowship in Political Economy of Innovation and Social Change
- 2009 Outstanding Academic of the Year 2009, Manchester Business School, University of Manchester
- 2007 Conference Support Grant, L’Orientale University, Naples, Italy (EUR 800.00)
- 2007 Conference Support Grant, HIVOS, The Netherlands (EUR 1,800.00)
- 2007 PhD Thesis writing-up grant, SP The Netherlands and BNV Switzerland (EUR 5,000.00)
- 2004 – 2007 Overseas Scholarship Scheme, The University of Manchester
- 2004 – 2007 SP Scholarship, The Netherlands (EUR 30,000.00)
- 2005 – 2007 Tuition Fee Support, PREST, The University of Manchester
- 2005 – 2006 Fieldwork Research Support, SP The Netherlands and BNV Switzerland (EUR 10,000.00)
- 2006 Conference Support Grant, PREST, the University of Manchester (GBP 500.00)
- 2006 Conference Support Grant, Association of Internet Researcher, United States (USD 500.00)
- 2004 – 2005 Pope John Paul II 100 Scholarship, Vatican (USD 2,700.00)
- 2004 Study Support Grant, FES Germany (GBP 10,000.00)
- 2000 – 2001 Chevening Scholarship, Foreign Commonwealth Office, The British Council
- 2008 – Grant application, ESRC and STDU, The University of Manchester
- 2008 – Foresight Methodology for Practitioners and Organisers, MIoIR, The University of Manchester
- 2007 – Sequence Analysis, CRESC, The University of Manchester
- 2007 – Multiple Indicator Multiple Causes Latent Class Analysis (MIMIC-LCA), CRESC, The University of Manchester
- 2005 – Social Network Analysis, CRESC, The University of Manchester
- 2005 – Online Survey using ClassApps, STDU, The University of Manchester
- 2005 – Online Survey using Calibrum, PREST, The University of Manchester
- 2004 – Graduate Teaching Assistantship, STDU, The University of Manchester
- 2000 – Academic Writing, The British Council at Jakarta, Indonesia
- 2001 – Project Management for Non-Profit Organisations, Uni Sosial Demokrat Jakarta, Indonesia
- 1996 – “Seven Habits of Highly Effective People”, Covey Leadership Centre, Jakarta
- 2004-now – Postdoctoral, Research Associateship, & Fellowship Projects, MIoIR/PREST, the University of Manchester
- Citizens in @ction – Social Media Innovation and Civic Engagement. HIVOS Regional Office Southeast Asia, 2010 (completed)
- EFP – European Foresight Platform. European Commission, DG Research, 2009-11 (in progress)
- EURECIA – Understanding and Assessing the Impact and Outcomes of the ERC Funding schemes. European Research Council (ERC), 2009-11 (in progress).
- MORE – Study on mobility patterns and career paths of EU Researchers. European Commission DG Research, 2008-10 (in progress).
- Future of Biofuels in Europe, Sustainable Consumption Institute, 2008-9 (completed).
- iKNOW – interconnecting Knowledge for the early identification of issues, events and developments (e.g. wild cards and associated weak signals) shaping and shaking the future of STI in the ERA, European Commission, DG Research, 2008-11 (in progress)
- BEFORE – Benchmarking and Foresight for Regions of Europe, European Commission: DG Research, 2008 (completed)
- InnoGRIPS – Innovation Policies for Europe, European Commission: DG Research, 2007-10 (in progress)
- PRIME Network of Excellence – Mapping researchers and research institutions in EU, 2008 (in progress)
- RINDICATE – Mobility of Researchers in EU, Joint project (IDEA, NIFU STEP, SPRU, PREST), 2007-8 (completed)
- Annual Digest for Industrial Research Issue 2, European Commission: DG Research, 2006 (completed)
- Policy Mapping for Innovation Policy Project in Services in the UK, Dept of Trade & Industry UK, 2006-7 (completed)
- E-Skills Foresight Europe, European Commission: DG Research, 2006-7 (completed)
- Annual Digest for Industrial Research Issue 1 , European Commission: DG Research, 2005 (completed)
- Prime Forum: Network of Excellence (Union 6th Framework), European Commission: DG Research, 2005-6 (completed)
- Service Innovation: The Future of R&D Service Innovation in EU, European Commission: DG Research, 2004-5 (completed)
- 2008 – External reviewer and synthesis writer, PRAKARSA, Jakarta, Indonesia, Audit on Globalisation research – Strengthening the voice of Indonesia in the governance of International Financial Institutions
- 2005 – Research Assistant (0.1FTE), the British Society of Gerontology & School of Informatics, the University of Manchester, Making Mobile Phones More Useful for Older People
- 2004 – External Research Reviewer, Oxfam Great Britain (Indonesia & UK Office), Pro-poor Investment in FMCG (Fast Moving Consumer Goods) in Indonesia
- 2004 – Principal Investigator, Unisosdem (Indonesia) & FES (Germany), Youth and Political Participation: Case of Indonesia
- 2002-2004 – Principal Investigator, BWI (Indonesia) & SOMO (The Netherlands), CSR in Financial Sector in Indonesia
- 2002-2004 – Principal Investigator, BWI, Privatisation of Public Services: Implication for the Poor in Indonesia
- Foresight Methods : Horizon scanning, scenario building and analysis, roadmapping
- Research Methods : exploratory, confirmatory, action research, triangulation
- Quantitative Research : small and large scale survey (electronic/online and postal/offline); some statistical processing including multivariate analysis, factor analysis and latent class analysis; social network mapping and social network analysis
- Qualitative Research : semi-ethnography, structured and semi structured in-depth interview, focus group discussion, workshops, scenario planning; some skills in text analysis, content analysis and video analysis
- Research Application : Atlas/Ti, N-Vivo, NudIST, Stata, SPSS, Latent Gold, ClassApps, Websurveyor, Calibrum, Pajek, UCINet
- 2009-2011 : Social Network Analysis, Manchester Business School, University of Manchester
- 2008 : Guest lecturer, The Internet, Civil Society and Social Movement in Indonesia, Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford
- 2008 : Guest lecturer, ICT and Society in the course KEIS (Knowledge Economy and Information Society) for MSc MOSTI (Management of Science Technology and Innovation), MIoIR, Univ of Manchester
- 2002-2004 : Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Industrial Engineering, Sahid University at Surakarta
- 2003 : Guest Lecturer, Postgraduate Programme, Driyarkara School of Philosophy, Jakarta
- 2001-2002 : Visiting Lecturer, Dept of Industrial Engineering, Trisakti University Jakarta
- 1998-2000 : Lecturer, Dept of Industrial Engineering, Trisakti University Jakarta
- 1994-1996 : Guest Lecturer, Dept of Industrial Engineering, Institute of Technology Bandung
- Since July 2010 – Senior Advisor of the Centre for Innovation Policy and Governance (CIPG). CIPG is a research-based advisory group which aspires to excel in the area of science, technology, innovation, and governance. It is considered to be among the first advisory groups in Indonesia with a keen interest in building Indonesian research capacities across many sectors.
- Since Jan 2008 – Senior Advisor (established and was Executive Director Sept 2004-Dec 2007) of The Business Watch Indonesia (BWI). BWI is a research- and advocacy-based NGO focussing in the implication of corporate-led globalisation for the poor people in Indonesia. BWI is member of OECD Watch and partner of SOMO, Novib and Oxfam International.
- Since May 2005 – Elected Member of Board of Experts of JKTI (Jaringan Kearifan Tradisional Indonesia or Indonesian Network of Indigenous Wisdom). JKTI is national NGO network working on the issue of indigenous rights.
- Since Sep 1999 – Head of Association Members of ELSPPAT (now on leave). Previously, in 1995 – 1997 established and acted as Managing Director of ELSPPAT (Institute for Rural Development and Sustainable Agriculture). ELSPPAT is a developmentalist NGO focusing on the issue of sustainable agriculture and rural development. ELSPPAT is member of BioCERT and Organic Agriculture movement and partner of HIVOS and Oxfam International.
- Since Aug 1998 – Established and act as General Secretary (now on leave) of Uni Sosial Demokrat (Democratic Social Union or Unisosdem). Unisosdem is a think-tank and advocacy network NGO focussing on raising political awareness among young people and conducting social democracy study within Indonesian specific context. Unisosdem is member of South East Social Democrats Network and partner of FES Germany.
- 1998 – 2004 – Visiting lecturer at Trisakti University, Jakarta, University of Surabaya, Surabaya, Sahid University at Surakarta and Driyarkara School of Philosophy, Jakarta. Subjects delivered: Technology and Society, Social Construction of Technology, ICT for Development, NGO and Social Movement.
- 1998 – 2002 – Associate Consultant of PUSDAKOTA (Centre for Urban Empowerment & Development) Surabaya. PUSDAKOTA is a university-based NGO working on the issue of the empowerment and development of urban society, particularly the urban poor.
- 1999 – Consultant of YAPPIKA for 1999 Indonesian General Election Monitoring activities. YAPPIKA is consortium of NGO working on the civil society empowerment for democratisation.
CONFERENCES, PUBLIC LECTURES & WORKSHOPS
(For conference papers, or lecture notes, see publication)
- 2010: Various public lectures in Indonesia: Jakarta, Yogyakarta, Solo
- December 2009: Innovation and SME in Indonesia (keynote speaker), TIIMI Conference, Indonesian Embassy, London
- October 2009: Arts, Market and Neoliberalism (Keynote address), IVAA, Yogyakarta
- October 2009: Social Innovation in Civil Society (Public lecture), KONTRAS, Jakarta
October 2009: Sociology of Innovation (Public lecture), Faculty of Social and Political Sciences, University of Indonesia, Jakarta
- October 2009: National Systems of Innovation: Lessons Learned (keynote address for Council’s discussion), National Research Council, Indonesian Ministry of Science and Technology, Jakarta
- October 2009: Triple Helix and Innovation for Development (keynote speaker), University of Atmajaya, Jakarta
- December 2008: Internet and Social Movement (keynote speaker), OneWorld Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia
- December 2008: Foresight exercise: The future of the Internet and Indonesian Social Movement (main facilitator), OneWorld Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia
- December 2008: Understanding crisis. Economics literacy for NGO activists (keynote speaker), Prakarsa & Business Watch Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia
- October 2008: Runtuhnya Neo-Liberalisme? – The end of neo-liberalism?, Public discussion, Indonesian Embassy, London, UK
- June 2008: The role of Social Technology System, Contribution to the workshop “Digital Economy and the Future of Transport in the UK” organised by Univ of Lancaster, at Manchester City Town Hall
- April 2008: The Internet and Indigenous Community, Contribution to the workshop “Subversion, Conversion, Development – Public Interests in Technologies”, CRASSH, University of Cambridge, UK
- April 2008: The role of the Internet in the civil society movement – A case of Indonesia, Seminar at the Oxford Internet Institute (OII), University of Oxford, UK
- April 2008: Innovation for development: A lesson from Internet appropriation in Indonesian civil society organisations, GRIPS European Young Researcher Workshop, University of Manchester, UK
- 2007 – Keynote speaker. “Commodum Toti Populo – Social Responsibility and Sustainability”. Indonesian Students International Scientific Meeting. London. Indonesian Embassy.
- 2007 – Network dynamics of global CSOs in the transition to democracy in Indonesia. International conference of European Association for Southeast Asian Studies. 5th session, Naples, Italy.
- 2007 – Adoption of the Internet in rural NGOs in Indonesia – A study on Internet appropriation for rural sector reform. International Rural Information and Communication Technology (r-ICT). 1st session, Bandung.
- 2007 – Spreading the word, broadening perspectives: Internet, NGOs and globalisation discourse in Indonesia. International Convention of Asian Scholars (ICAS). 5th session, Kuala Lumpur.
- 2006 – Study of the Use of Internet in Indonesian Civil Society Organisation. Association of Internet Researcher. 7th session, Brisbane. Discussant. Internet for Social Development Programmes.
- 2006 – Internet and Civil Society: A Study of the Adoption of Internet in Indonesian CSOs for Social Reform and Social Development Programmes. Doctoral Colloquium of Association of Internet Researcher. Brisbane.
- 2006 – Corporate Accountability – Why does it matter? Keynote address. International Conference of Corporate Social Responsibility and Corporate Accountability. BWI and Oxfam Netherlands, Jakarta.
- 2006 – Multi-methods and triangulation: Tales from the field. Oxford Research Methods Festival. Discussant.
- 2006 – Mapping the network society: Network dynamics in the transition to democracy in Indonesia. 11th Alternative Futures and Popular Protest – International Social Movement Conference. Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester.
- 2005 – Indigenous and local communities concerns and experiences in promoting, sustaining and safeguarding their traditional knowledge, cultural expressions and genetic resources: Case of Indonesia. Intergovernmental Committee on Intellectual Property and Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge and Folklore. World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO), Geneva.
- 2004 – Competing for Sustainable Future. European Conference on Corporate Social Responsibility. EU and Dutch Government, Maastricht.
- 2004 – Election 2004: Prospects Indonesia’s Development – Perspective of the Poor and Young People. Series of Workshop for 2004 Indonesian Election. Uni Sosial Demokrat, Jakarta.
- 2004 – Privatisation and its implication for the poor: Case of privatisation of essential services in Indonesia. International Conference on Regionalism. World Social Forum, Mumbai.
- 2003 – Privatisation of Essential Services in Indonesia: Implication for the poor. European Strategy Meeting on GATS. Transnational Institute (TNI) & Corporate Europe Observatory (CEO), Amsterdam.
- 2003 – Privatisation of Public Services in Indonesia: Implication for the poor. NGO Paralel Meeting during WTO Ministrial Meeting. Heinrich Boell Foundation (HBF), Cancun.
- 2003 – Country Report: Indonesia. Asia-Africa GATS Strategy Meeting. Nairobi.
- 2003 – Water privatisation in Asia: Issues and challenges. NGO paralel meeting during the 5th World Water Forum (WWF) 2003. Kyoto.
- 2003 – Ethics in Globalised World. Asian Social Forum. Hyderabad.